Sunday, January 9, 2011

Snowpocalypse, shmopocalypse... or something...

So, as for my mood at the current moment, perhaps you can decipher it from my most recent iTunes purchases:
Elton John, Norah Jones, Gillian Welch, Ingrid Michaelson, Dev feat. the Cataracs, Teitur, Parachute, Jay-Z, Rufus Wainwright, Florence and the Machine, 2Pac, Switchfoot, Ben Harper.

... maybe not.

So, Chattanooga is hunkering down and getting ready for the Snowpocalypse. I have to say, this city is slightly insane when it comes to weather guessing and preparing for the worst. My lord. I, on the other hand, would love to not have to go into work at the crack of 8am of course, BUT being snowed in means sitting on my butt all day long doing basically nothing and going completely stir crazy. So, I could really go either way. But, I am set up with about 12 pounds of hummus and all sorts of yummy fruit fit for smoothie making so I can weather out the storm if need-be.

This weather reminded me of the idea that if the weather weren't bad sometimes, we wouldn't truly be able to appreciate when it's beautiful. We would have nothing to compare it to and then would likely take it for granted, like we do with so many other things in our lives. I feel the same way about my life at the moment. There are certainly things that I am not thrilled with at the moment, but I have to appreciate even these bits of negativity and pain so that when my life is going well, I will laugh and smile and be extra grateful for every happy moment spent. Sometimes it takes something really bad to happen before you realize how wonderful your life was to begin with. I, personally, don't ever want to get to that point. I hope I can appreciate each moment of joy in my life without having to compare it with pain, but that is not always the easiest and I know that. So, tonight, if it snows and I am stuck in my house (pouting, no doubt) I will try to turn my thoughts on how lovely it will be when I get to see sunshine and walk in the outdoors without freezing my bazzinga off. And when that time comes I will smile and really be exceptionally grateful for that day and that opportunity.

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I hope that you can find that lightness in the dark as well. I wish it for us all.

I love you. Have a happy snow day!
xoxo
Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment