Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Small victories

Today I am thankful for small victories. Perhaps that's not exactly the best way to phrase that, but it seems like a succinct and generally useful phrase, so I'm going with it. Sorry.

It's very easy to take for granted the little things. It's also amazing how something small can make a big impact. I was so taken aback today by something that happened at work. A lady that comes into the yoga studio pretty regularly had come in Friday with her children, unaware that we had cancelled childcare for the day. She was visibly upset when she found out that we didn't have childcare and so I offered to watch them while I worked so that she could take class. It didn't seem like a big deal and I like kids so, to me, it was really no problem. We sat on the floor and drew pictures and giggled and had fun in our own little world.

Today, she came to take class and handed me a card. It expressed how grateful she was for me to have been willing to watch her children so that she could take class. She has had a lot going on lately and said her practice has been sporadic and she really needed to take class that day and it meant a lot to her for me to agree to watch her kids. It really touched me and reminded me that I may not be a traveling mercenary or some kind of amazing philanthropist, but I can help people and touch their lives in some way, no matter how small the gesture. It was an amazing moment of awakening. We can give someone a gift simply by being in the right place at the right time. We can give someone a gift simply by being. It's the small victories that lead to big changes and learning that lesson today was a small victory but it's giving me an opening to make bigger efforts to bring smiles to peoples' faces.

I am thankful for today. I am thankful for sweet little boys who kept my drawings because they had fun playing on the floor of the yoga studio. I am thankful for life lessons. And I am thankful that each sun rise gives me an opportunity to grow.

I love you.
xoxo,
Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment